Thursday, July 31, 2008

More Than A Memory-Ch6

Chapter 6:
I rushed out of work. I was kind of nervous, but excited at the same time. I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. When I got to the parking lot I realized that it was snowing. "Great. I bet the roads are going to suck" I said to myself getting into my SUV. "Thank god for 4 wheel drive" I said. Traffic wasn't actually that bad. I was surprised. There were a few people driving like idiots, but hey, that's America. I pulled into my garage and made sure that the snow shovel was in clear reach so I could shovel a pathway to the door. It was only a small dusting, but it was getting heavier by the minute. I turned up the heat when I got up to the kitchen and put my jacket over a chair at the island. I then went up to my room and changed into a pair of sweat pants and a sweat shirt. I pulled on a pair of thick wool socks too."Well he's seen me at my worst" I thought as I put my hair into a messy bun. I went back down to the kitchen and boiled water for a cup of tea while I set the table. He would be there in five minutes, and he was never late. He hated being late. I put on the news after lighting a few candles in the living room. I sat down and listened to the cute weather man talk about how this storm would be pretty heavy overnight, but by 4 in the morning it would come to a stop. I was nervous when I realized that he was running ten minutes late. I had to keep my mind off it, so I grabbed a basket of clean laundry from the basement and starting folding. I was in the middle of pairing socks when the doorbell rang. I took a deep breath and made my way down the stairs. I opened the door to see him standing there in sweat pants and a sweat shirt. We thought alike. He smiled when he stepped in the door."I'm so sorry I'm late" He handed me the box of food, it smelled so good."It’s no problem, I was only starving" I joked. He laughed and slipped his shoes off and followed me up the stairs. "How are the roads?" I asked taking his coat and hanging on another chair. "Not good" he replied, “but the plows are just coming out now." I nodded, "what to drink" I asked opening the fridge to show him the selection. "Um... I'll have a Coke" he said. I took one out for myself and grabbed napkins while he unpacked the box. "There was like no one getting food tonight" he said. "Yeah, that's because only crazy people go out during snowstorms" I said with a chuckle. He smiled and put my sesame chicken, sticky rice and egg roll on the plate. "Thanks for this" I said. He took a bite of his chicken and said, with his mouth full, "anytime." I see he hadn't broken that habit yet. “Nice place” he said. I thanked him. We ate in silence for a few minutes and then he spoke up. "So how was work today?" He asked. "It was good. Your visit was a hit. All the kids were so happy to see you guys" I replied. "I'm glad" he said. We started talking about common things, talking like we were old friends. Which we technically were. Pretty soon we were done with our dinners. We reached for a fortune cookie at the same time. Then like we used to, we broke the cookies and switched the fortunes with each other. I sighed and rolled my eyes when I read mine. 'Forgiveness brings happiness'. Did this fortune know my situation or what?"What's yours say?" He asked looking over his little paper at me. "Forgiveness brings happiness" I said. His eyebrows raised and a small smile crept to his face. "Yours?" I then asked. "It says that luck is in my immediate future" he said, eyebrows furrowing. "I don't really understand it though, I didn't buy a lottery ticket or anything" he said. I laughed even though his joke wasn’t funny.A few moments went by and I could feel my heartbeat in my ears as I began to speak. "So ... I liked the flowers you sent" I said, looking away from him, but then back up to meet his caramel gaze. He looked away. "I didn't think you had gotten them." I shrugged my shoulders and put on a straight face. "I've been really busy with work for the past few weeks" I lied, "that's why I couldn't get back to you." He nodded, and then let out a sigh. "Peyton, I'm sorry that I ever left you. But had to leave you, you know that" he started. But I interrupted him, "I know you had to leave, but you didn't have to leave me the way you did. You came to my house with no warning and said you were leaving. I thought you would at least be with me for three more weeks." He shot me an annoyed look. "Can you let me finish what I was saying?" He asked. I just looked at him. "I was going to say, I regret leaving you like I did. I never forgave myself and everyday for months after I came here, that picture kept rolling through my head. I felt so horrible Pey. I called your house all the time, but your parents said it wasn't a good idea to talk to you. I didn't know what else to do. Then you shut me down at the coffee house, I felt like I would never be able to fix this. To fix us" he said. I still didn't say anything. He took a deep breath. "I know it sounds so cliché, but I just can't picture myself with anyone but you. I tried to forget about you" I winced and felt a tug at my heart “but I would always push people that I met away because I thought that maybe, I hoped that someday you would give me another chance." He finally looked into my eyes. I could see he was sincere. Hearing those words out of his mouth made my mind start racing. Before I could think of what to do, I acted on instinct. I reached for his hand and held it in mine. It was bigger than I remembered. "Do you mean that?" I asked. He nodded slowly, his gaze never leaving mine. I looked away and took my hand back. He stood up and began putting dishes into the dishwasher and told me to 'go relax'. He meant it; he could probably tell that I was exhausted. I turned on the TV and the news was still on. I listened to the man and women speak."There are reports of major accidents on both highways and roads. Traffic is backed up everywhere, causing more accidents. There is ice and snow on the roads making driving conditions very dangerous. We are telling you now, seriously, do not go out anywhere if you don't have to. The roads are too dangerous right now and your safety could be at risk" the man said. I imagined Sidney driving and getting hurt. I could not bear the thought of that. He walked into the living room holding his jacket. "Its late. I should get going" he said. I shook my head, "I can't let you leave" I said softly pointing to the TV. He listened for a minute. "Come on Pey, it’s just a little snow" he said and started walking down the stairs. I got up and ran after him. "Sidney you are not leaving here tonight. You can't risk getting hurt. You can stay in the living room. I’ll give you blankets and make you breakfast tomorrow and let you use my shower" I said trying to get around him. He was like a brick wall, strong and sturdy. But I snuck in front of him and stood right in front of the door, my hands spread out over it. "Peyton, move." He said but I didn't budge. His gaze narrowed at me. "Look the only way you are leaving is if you forcefully move me" I began, wrong thing to say though, he could easily pick me up. "If you moved me forcefully I would file assault on you and then you would be in a lot of trouble." He rolled his eyes, "enough with the drama" he said. He went to reach for the door handle and I slapped his hand away. "Sidney Patrick you are not leaving here. I cannot be held responsible for you being hurt. I know you think that you are a safe driver, but seriously, you know that other people aren't as careful as you" I was rambling now. He needed to stay, he couldn't leave. He looked out the window and sighed dropping his shoes. "Fine." He said, but I could tell he didn't have a real problem with staying here. He was too stubborn to admit it. I didn't really have a problem with it either, but I didn't let him see that.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Cute! Now's the perfect opportunity for them to kiss and make up! :)

Hope you're having a good vacation!

CrosbysBabe87 said...

Aww ,what a cute chapter!!

PMS!!!

Unknown said...

aww i have been waiting for an update all week! and you didn't disappoint! they're so cute, this is one of my favorite stories. i think i like it better than "letting love in"!

anika875 said...

so cute! so glad you updated!

Kayla Elizabeth said...

Super Cute chapter! Loved it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.