Thursday, July 24, 2008

More Than A Memory-Ch4

Chapter 4:
I ended up leaving work about 20 minutes after Sidney left. Thank god it was late and not a lot of people were there to see my tear streaked face leaving. I think I hit every single red light on the way home, and it was raining. Could this day possibly get any worse? When I got home I changed into my pajamas, made a Boboli pizza and settled into my couch. I ate and watched the late news. After I was done eating and everything I threw a load of laundry in and went up to my room. Even though it was only after 8:00, I decided to go to bed.
**
Two weeks later I arrived at work a little late; traffic sucks sometimes. As soon as I walked in my secretary, Donna, handed me a few memos and told me that there was a delivery for me and she just put it on my desk. While I opened the door to my office I read the first memo. It said I had a very important staff meeting today at 10:00. I dropped my coat and purse on a chair and turned to my desk. My heart sank. There were probably a dozen different colored daisies in a vase. I looked at the card. It was hand written.
Peyton-
I want to fix this. Please.
-Sidney
I sighed and tucked the card into the top drawer of my desk. I looked at the clock, it read 9:30. I figured I would go check in on some of my patients before the meeting so I grabbed a few candies out of the bag in my desk and made my rounds.
I arrived at the meeting just in time. I took a seat next to the head of Oncology and opened up my planner. The president of the hospital walked into the room a few seconds later. He began talking about small complaints that needed to be attended to, some of the renovations that will be happening, and a few events that were going to be going on in the conference room.“This Wednesday [it was Monday] we will be having a few members of the Pittsburgh Penguins visit the children” he said. “And with our rotating organizer system, this year’s organizer will be Dr. Brooks.” I almost choked on my coffee. I remembered I was in public, so I kindly smiled and accepted the position. “I want them here around 1:00 and the program will end around 4:00” he said. I nodded and wrote it down. This was going to be a great time.
**
Sure enough, Wednesday morning did come. It took me a long time to get out of bed. I kept telling myself I had to get up, but I would just roll back over into the comfort of my bed. I finally got myself to the shower and let the hot water run on my face. I got out of the shower, blow dried and straightened my hair a little, then I went to my closets to try and find something to wear.
I chose a matching black lace and thong set for starters. I had to put on pantyhose, hospital policy. I then put on a charcoal colored high waisted pencil skirt that hit just below the knees. I picked out a crisp white button up blouse with a white lacey camisole underneath. I tucked the shirt into the skirt and added a slim black patent leather belt. I picked out a pair of black suede Ralph Lauren pumps and slipped them on. I went down to the kitchen and grabbed some breakfast. Then I brushed my teeth, grabbed a long faced black wool/cashmere jacket and my black Coach work bag, I walked out into the garage. It was very cold outside, it was January, it was a good thing I had a pair of leather gloves in the car.
I drove to work a little slower than I should have. I was dreading this, badly. “Grow up Peyton. You knew this was going to happen sooner or later” I demanded myself before stepping out into the cold parking garage. I took a deep breath and looked at my Tag watch. It was only 9:30, I groaned. I walked briskly into my office and Amy was there within 5 minutes of my arrival.
“I’m surprised to see you here!” she called as she handed me a large coffee. “Well it is work. I’m getting paid double for this. So tomorrow when I get my check, I’m off to Bloomingdales to get a nice new outfit” I said putting away random files that had been skewed across my desk. “So does he know you will be here?” she asked, making herself comfortable in the chair opposite my desk. “Well I assume so” I replied. I took a swig of coffee, enjoying the hot sweet taste. “What do you think he will do? What are you going to do if he says something to you? You aren’t going to cause a scene are you?” “What is this 20 questions?” I replied, annoyed. She shot me a get-over-yourself look. “Well anyway this is strictly business. I can’t be caught off guard here. This is my workplace, if he disrupts me, I will be extremely pissed off” I said. She laughed and agreed. “Peyton, whatever you do, please, do not put up a wall between you and him. You are eventually going to have to talk to him about it, you can’t keep putting it off” she said. I told her that I knew that and I just needed time. We talked for a few more minutes and then she had to leave. “By the way, you look hot today” she said as she walked out the door. I looked in my full length mirror on the back of my door. Amy was right about most things.
*
I spent the morning confirming all the plans that I had set up with the players. There would be nine of them coming and they would be in 3 groups. Each group would go through at least 2 floors. After their tour, some children would then go into the large recreation area and have a meet and greet session. Around 11:00 I went into the recreation area to clean and make sure all the decorations were set up. I picked up the stray blocks and markers that were lying around on the floor. I straightened up the banner that the kids had made. It read ‘Welcome Penguins’ with cut outs of the logo colored all different ways around it. I went to the fridge and made sure there was enough sugar free apple juice for everyone. There were 4 big jugs; I figured we should have plenty. I made sure there were enough animal crackers too. There was a box with 150 packets of animal crackers; we would definitely have some left over. I checked the stock on paper plates, cups and napkins. There weren’t enough cups though; I would have to get some from the storage room. A few kids came into the room to play.
“Hey guys” I chirped bending down to their eye level. “Hi Dr. Brooks” they said together. “Today we are having some visitors come here” I started to explain, “They are very nice people and will have a really fun time with you in here. But you need to keep it clean because you want to make a good impression on them. And if one of them slips on a marker or a ball they would get hurt” I said. They agreed to clean up whatever they played with. I was satisfied with their answer, but on my way out I told the nurses at the station to make sure that they clean up, and if they don’t, they will have to. They understood and agreed to my requests.
I grabbed a quick lunch and ran more cups up to the recreation room. I was in the lobby along with other doctors at 12:45, waiting, well dreading, the players’ arrival. The president of the hospital, Dr. Churchill, walked down to the lobby and thanked me for everything I had done to put together the program. I stood facing the doorway with my head glued on the floor. I was nervous, I could feel my heartbeat in my throat. I was telling myself to take deep breaths, and that he knew he had to be professional about everything today. Deep down inside, I wanted him to say something to me.
I was snapped out of my calming technique when I heard Dr. Churchill say “Their here.” I looked up and sure enough a big group of guys was walking in the doors. I smoothed my skirt and took a deep breath. “Good afternoon boys” Dr. Churchill said, “First of all I would like to thank you for coming here today, the kids are looking forward to this. These are the heads of the multiple departments” he said pointing to me and 4 other doctors. He introduced them all, saving me for last. “And this is Dr. Peyton Brooks. She organized this whole program for us today” Dr. Churchill said proudly. “Hello everyone” I said shaking hands. Jordan Staal, Sergei Gonchar, Evgeni Malkin, Petr Sykora, Marc-Andre Fleury, Ryan Whitney, Max Talbot and Brooks Orpik all shook my hand. Sidney was the last one.
“Sidney Crosby” he said taking my hand. I felt a rush of electricity flow up my arm, and by the look in his eyes, I knew he felt it too. “Peyton Brooks” I said. Our hands lingered for a moment, and I realized it. I pulled away and felt myself blush. “Well we better get going” I said, “Dr. Churchill can lead the way.” They began walking and Sidney and I fell behind. He was looking down at me when I looked up at him. We started walking side by side, and his hand casually brushed mine. I got butterflies and looked up at him. I remembered this was work, for both of us. “Not now” I whispered. He turned his head forward and kept walking. The thing is, I wanted to grab his hand and hold it, like we used to all the time.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Awww I love how they introduced themselves to each other again - it's like a starting over for them - so cute!
Update again soon please!

Jessie said...

Love it! Your an amazing writer.

LC said...

I really like this new story, please update soon, I can't wait to see what happens

CrosbysBabe87 said...

I like the update!!!

Update soon!!

Anonymous said...

i love all your stories LLI was so cute and this one is awesomeeee. i love sidney crosby and your stories are the besttttttt ever.

Unknown said...

reading "max talbot" ..cough flyer cough lol