Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch33

Chapter 33:
I walked up into my parent’s bedroom. My mother was sitting at her desk putting on makeup. I sat down on the bed behind her. “Mom, I think I need to leave for a while” I said after a few moments of silence. She immediately whipped her head around and looked at me. “Why? Honey what is wrong?” she asked. “This morning Sidney came home. He went out drinking with some guys after the game I guess. Well then he started to yell at me, I’m surprised you didn’t hear it, and he was blaming me for all of his failures this season. He said I put too much pressure on him and that I expect too much out of him. Then when I went to leave he grabbed my arm, and it hurt. He just really scared me. So I think I need to leave for a while to let him think things over.” She looked at me in sheer terror. “Should I tell your uncle about this?” she asked. “No. I can mostly understand he didn’t mean to hurt me. He wasn’t himself. I just want to relieve some of this ‘pressure’ that I’m causing” I said. She nodded her head. “Honey, do whatever you need to. But if things get out of hand and he hurts you again, I’m telling your uncle.” “Alright mom” I said. She stood up, kissed my cheek, and I went in my room to call Micah.
*****
I packed two-week’s worth of clothes. I was headed to New York State for Micah and Brianna’s house. I told Micah what had happened and her and Brianna decided that I should spend a while with them. Brianna called Jessica and invited her too. Jessica was already on her flight, it was an early morning one. I had to leave in ten minutes. I looked at my night table and saw the picture of me in Sidney’s arms after one of his games. I closed my eyes tight to erase the image of him out of my mind. I sighed and went downstairs.
The only people that knew about the fight were Kevin, Amanda, Nancy and my mother. Sidney too, of course. We told everyone I had been invited up to New York because Micah and Brianna really wanted to spend time with me. No one suspected anything, it had been three days since the fight, and the only time I talked to Sidney was at breakfast the next morning, and one time when I asked him if he could take Dot for a walk while I was busy. My brother had the golden opportunity to watch Dot while I was gone. Sidney too had to take care of him, but I would let Steph know that before I left.
I told Kevin that I would be out in a minute and I motioned towards Sidney’s door. He nodded and understood. I walked down to his main door and knocked. He opened the door and looked at me with a blank expression. He took a step back and let me in. I faced the opposite wall when he shut the door and I grabbed the wrist where the bruises were. I held onto my wrist for dear life, took a deep breath and turned around to him. I noticed his clothes, they were wrinkled. His hair was messy, probably from tossing and turning in bed, like I have been. He had small bags under his eyes, further proving he hadn’t been sleeping. His eyes were glassy and didn’t show any emotion until he looked down and saw I was looking in his eyes.
“I’m um… going to New York State for a few weeks.” I whispered. He nodded. “When will you be back?” he asked like he was afraid to know the answer. “Two weeks from today” I replied. He closed his eyes for a moment and bit his lip. “Alright” he said. I could barely hear, my heart was pounding in my ears. I could hardly speak, my mouth was dry and a lump was building in my throat. “I’ve got to go” I said, looking away from him. He nodded again.
I didn’t know what to do. Before every other goodbye, he would kiss me hard. But now it was different. I had the urge to draw him near and hug him tight, but visions of his anger filled my mind and tears rolled down my cheeks. In an instant reaction he held my face in his hands and wiped them away. I surrendered to his touch and leaned into his hand. He pulled me forward and kissed my forehead. I let out a sob and grabbed the door handle. “Be safe” he said to me. And I left for Syracuse, New York.
*********
I had been there for a week. We went shopping, out to lunch and dinner, and to the movies. We would make up little dances in the basement and then play stupid games. It was like a slumber party that continued on and on. I told them one night over dinner that I was not going to attend the conservatory, and I was going to go to college for a degree in communications. “But you are such a great dancer Kay!” they said, at once. “I know girls, but I can’t dance my whole life.” I argued with them and they soon understood.
I watched the games. They won one game, but lost all the other ones. The lost 7-0 one night and it was the night he called me. I had a voicemail, it was Sidney.
“Kay, it’s me. Um… I don’t really know what to do anymore.” -Long pause- -Sigh- “Please come home. I really miss you. I need you. Please just… just come home”
I still had four days left on my trip. But with his voice, so broken; He sounded so tired, almost helpless. My heart took over my thoughts and I convinced myself to go home. The next morning I told Jessica, Micah and Brianna. I booked a flight that left at 9:30 p.m. [it was the only open flight] I called my mother and told her I was coming home, she told me that Kevin would be there waiting. I told her to please not tell anyone that Sidney asked me to come home, she told me that she would say I was feeling homesick and that I just wanted to come home. I agreed and prepared for my flight home.
I said my goodbyes to Micah, Brianna and Jessica and told them that I would definitely invite them over for a week in the summer. They hugged me tight and told me to call them whenever I needed to. I thanked them and headed outside to the taxi. My flight went quickly and I was nervous as I pulled up to the house. I knew I had to see Sidney, but I had to do something first.
I went to see Dot, and hugged him tight. He went crazy when I picked him up. He was glad I was home, I wasn’t so sure. I ran up to my room and changed into my pajamas, well a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt. I took off most of my makeup and put on a thick pair of socks. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, sighed and prepared myself.

1 comment:

Trish said...

I loved the new updates..keep it coming, please! Can't wait for more.