Sunday, August 10, 2008

More Than A Memory-Ch7

Chapter 7:
I followed him up the stairs and found myself gazing at his ass. I felt my face flush as I reached the top of the staircase and he asked if something was wrong. I stuttered, "Um, um nothing." He shrugged it off and went to sit on the couch. I asked if he wanted anything else to eat. “Do you have any cookies?” he asked in all seriousness. “I have Oreos” I said. He smiled, “My favorite.” I boiled myself more water for tea, and then joined him in the living room. I turned off the light and sank into the couch next to him. I handed him the box. He finished his dearest cookies a few minutes later. he looked over at me and I turned my head to him. “You know, you were right about staying here. I forgot you are always right” he said in a bit of a mocking tone. I shot him a look and went to hit him on the arm, but he caught my hand and pulled me to him. He poked my stomach causing me to screech, with him laughing the whole time. I settled down and we ended up looking at each other for a few moments. My hand was still in his, it was familiar, and gave me butterflies.
I slid over and leaned into him. I curled my legs to my chest and put my head on his chest. His left arm held me tightly and I put hand on his thigh. I slowly melted into him. After a few minutes I looked up at him. He looked down and smiled softly at me. Without thinking I leaned up and kissed him on the cheek. He was silent as I leaned back into him. His grip tightened around me and our breathing became in sync. The movie ended shortly and when I looked up at Sidney, he was fast asleep. I pulled a blanket off the back of the couch and covered him up. I traced his jaw line with my index finger and it found its way to his lips. I watched him sleeping and I realized I still loved him. I leaned forward and kissed his lips gently. I watched him for a moment and then went up to my room. I pulled back my covers and slipped into the warm flannel sheets. I switched my alarm on and the light off. I was laying on my back listening to the sound of Sidney moving around. I remembered the first time I ever met him.Memory--"When I call your name, come and sit at a desk. The desks will be in rows from front to back, one person behind the other" my English teacher said my first day of freshman year. I listened to her call out names, all I could hear was squawking, like the teacher in Charlie Brown. "Peyton Brooks" she said. I walked to my seat and sat down. My bag landed with a thunk on the floor. I was busy looking out the window, longing to be at home by the pool rather in this school, when the boy in front of me turned around handing me a small pile of index cards. "What are these for?" I asked. "Were you listening?" He asked back. "No" I said flatly. He told we were supposed to write what we did during the summer down and we would read them to the class. "That is so 5th grade" I mumbled.That day we became project partners for a major book report that was due in 3 weeks. We had to read the book on our own and write a compare and contrast essay on the hero and villain in the story. The project was hard, but it wouldn't take too long to write. Even though we didn't have to work on it, we did. I found that every day after his practice we would be together. Then after we were finished a few days early we would still be with each other all the time. I realized I was falling for him, fast. I knew he had fallen for me too when he kissed me on the cheek after we learned we got an ‘A’ on the paper.End--It felt like I had only been sleeping for 5 minutes when my alarm clock buzzed loudly at 7:30. I groaned, rolled over then shut it off. I grabbed my sweat shirt off the edge of my bed, threw it on and went downstairs to check on Sidney. I smiled when I saw him laying there, blanket up to his nose, tucked under his chin. He looked like a little kid. I went over and pulled the blanket that fell back on top of him. He let out a breath then snuggled deeper into the couch. I had to fight back lying down with him, but eventually I went upstairs to take my shower. I turned the water on hot, and enjoyed the feeling of it across my shoulders and down my back. I cleaned up quick, dried my hair and put on my clothes. I went downstairs and called out his name from the kitchen. "Sid are you awake?" I called after I didn't get an answer. After more silence I walked into the living room. It was empty. I ran back to the kitchen and out to the small wood balcony. His car wasn't there, and there were tracks through the slushy snow suggesting he left. I stepped back inside. Tears came to my eyes. "How could he just leave?" I thought to myself. I thought about what he said the previous night at dinner. Repeating the words "I can't picture myself with anyone but you" in my head. He had sat with me, I kissed him, I felt all the old feelings. I lost my appetite. I felt like I had been hit by a tractor trailer truck. I sighed and rubbed at my eyes. He either really had to leave, or he didn't feel what I felt.I sighed again and walked back to the living room. There was no note, and he had folded all the blankets neatly in the corner. I sat where he had been lying. I closed my eyes. I could still feel where his lips touched mine. The feeling burned onto my lips and I felt my heart sinking. After a few seconds of wallowing in myself pity, I picked up the blankets to go put back in the closet. Something fell out of the pile. His sweat shirt. I hurried to put the blankets away and then picked up the sweat shirt. I felt the soft material with my fingers; I lifted it to my face and inhaled. I folded it and put it on the island in the kitchen. I grabbed my things and headed off to work.

1 comment:

crosbystaal8711 said...

i really love this story! =)