Sunday, August 10, 2008

More Than A Memory-Ch8

Chapter 8:
I was busy at work, and I was glad. It kept my mind off things. My lunch break was the first time I got to look at my cell phone all morning. I had one new voice mail. I looked at my missed call list and saw that Sidney had put his number in. I ignored it. I couldn't deal with him now. I ate quickly and continued working until about 6:30. I got to my car and picked up my phone to order myself a pizza. I had 6 missed calls. Can you guess who they were from? I ignored them again. I hurried to get home and put on my sweats. I turned on the TV and flipped channels. I found the game and decided to watch it. I sighed and shoved a piece of pizza in my mouth while I watched him being interviewed. He was so focused. It pissed me off. How could he be this calm and dandy when things apparently weren't right with him? Whatever. I was grownup now; I could handle this like an adult. Too bad my teenage feelings were creeping up on me.*It was the second intermission and I was in the kitchen washing dishes when my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID. It was him. He never made calls during games. I gave in and picked up the phone. "Hello" I said softly. "Why haven't you been picking up? Are you alright? You aren't hurt are you? Are you sick?" his voice was bellowing through the speaker, he sounded out of breath. "No" I said flatly, "I was uh... Busy" I lied. "Pey listen I don't have much time but I wanted to tell you that I didn't leave because of you this morning I just had early practice and I didn't want to be all weird and walk into the bathroom while you were showering and stuff and" I stopped him. "Whatever" I said into the phone. "Don't be like this" he pleaded, "Please. I told you I want to fix this. I hurt you once and I never want to do it again. I swear I'll make it up to you." I sighed. "Sidney you need to focus on your game" I said, it was forced. "The game doesn't matter to me now. You're what matters. I need to know that you understand. I need to know that you feel the same way I do about you" his voice was frantic and I could barely understand him, he was speaking so fast. "Sidney I understand that you have obligations. But I have obligations too. I just don't think that right now is the time to be dealing with this" I said. I didn't know why I was pushing him away. I loved him. He apparently had similar feelings. I knew I had hit a bad spot when he started talking again. "You can't just tell me to sleep over your house, then get all close to me, then kiss me last night, and kiss me this morning and tell me you don't feel the same way" he cried. I swallowed hard. He was right. I shut my eyes tight as I spoke. "Now is not the time" I said quietly. I heard him suck in a breath with frustration. "When is the time?" He asked slowly. "I don't know" I said. Then I hit the red phone and hung up. What the hell was wrong with me?I left the dishes in the sink and went to sit down on the couch. The FSN guy called on Sidney for the interview. He appeared red faced and breathing heavily. He was asked a question and answered sharply, his eyes piercing the screen. It’s like he knew I was watching. He lifted his hand to rub his chin, his knuckles were white. I imagine they were in fists. He stormed off after the last question and slammed the locker room door. He was angry. I was upset. This reunion was going great.

No comments: