Saturday, May 31, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch18

Chapter 18:
He woke me up around 7:30. “Kay, Nancy is going to come up here any minute to make sure I’m awake. You have to get up” he said. I smirked and pulled the covers up to the top of my nose and moved over even closer to him. “No” I said with a whine. I felt him get off the bed and I heard the bathroom door close. I slept for another fifteen minutes, but was awakened by a knock on the door. Just then Sidney opened the door to the bathroom and motioned me to hurry in quickly. “Sidney are you awake?” It was my uncle. “Yeah I just got out of the shower he said. Then I noticed he was standing there dripping wet in a towel. While he listened to my uncle talk about getting ready for practice and such, I looked him up and down. His muscles flexed and relaxed almost to a beat. He was so gorgeous.
When my uncle was gone I told Sidney I would see him later and ran back to my house. I quickly ate breakfast. “Amanda, what is my family doing this morning?” I asked after taking a gulp of juice. “Well there is a game tonight, so you’re mother and father will probably be working for the day until before the game, so nothing really.” Just then my uncle walked into the kitchen. “Kay we are leaving in 10 minutes of you want to come to the arena with Sidney and I”. “Alright” I said and then ran up to my room. I threw on a pair of black Nike sweatpants, with a white tank top, long sleeve thermal and my Pittsburgh Penguins zip-up jacket. I put on my short black Uggs, and threw my hair into a ponytail. I grabbed a black jacket out of my closet and ran down to the car.
“Good morning…again” Sidney said with a smirk while I was getting in the car. “Your uncle should be another minute” he said. We sat there staring at each other for about 30 seconds, when sure enough Uncle Mario slid into the backseat. “Hello” he said with a bright smile. “Good morning” I said back taking out my cell phone. I decided to avoid conversation about tonight’s opponent by playing a game the whole way there. Once we got to the arena I went and got a soft pretzel. [I know it was early, but pretzels are my favorite] Then I went down into an empty section about 6 rows away from the ice across from the bench. I stretched myself out across two chairs and watched the team’s practice. Occasionally Sid would look up at me and smile. It surprised me how much he actually loved hockey. I mean, I watched my uncle for most of my life, but I couldn’t picture Sidney doing anything else. As fast as practice started, it ended. My uncle called my name from the bench, and I saw him hold up my ice skates.
I ran to the wall near the runway and hopped over the rail. “Kay, will you stop doing that? One time you’re going to get hurt!” my uncle said to me handing me my skates. “Yeah, yeah, yeah” I said waving him off. I laced up the skates and rolled my pants up a little above my ankle. Then I pulled out my iPod and cranked it up. I was just fooling around doing jumps and turns [yes, I can skate a little too, but not the best] by the opposing bench when one earpiece fell out, pulling the other one which caused the wires to fall onto the ice. I bent down to pick them up, and when I looked up I saw a pair of black skates about a foot away from my hand.
“I didn’t know you could skate” he said as I stood up. “Well Sid, you and Uncle Mario aren’t the only ones who have some skill on the ice” I said, sarcastically. “Oh well excuse me” he said mocking me. I stuck my tongue out at him and started skating backwards. He watched me do a turning switch [a dance move] and make some figure eights for a few minutes. Then he started to skate towards me again. As I stopped I sprayed his legs with ice. “Race ya” I said with a big grin. “What are the stakes?” he said. “Well if I win, you have to do whatever I want you to do for a whole hour” I said. “What about if you lose?” he asked as I skated to the nearest net, “Oh don’t worry, I won’t lose” I said back.
“Ready, set, GO” he said. I beat him by about a third of a second. “Ha” I said breathing heavily. “Well you were right” he said, still breathing normally, “But there’s just one thing” “What?” I asked skating towards him so that our feet were touching. “I’d do anything you want me to all day, every day” then he leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. When we pulled apart I rested my hands on his arms “That’s sweet, but it doesn’t mean that you aren’t a loser” I said with a whisper. I gave a peck on the cheek and told him to go get changed and that I will see him in a while.
*****************
[In the meantime, I had gone back to the house by myself, my uncle and Sidney has to deal with the press, and ate lunch with my family. I rested a while, reading and watching TV]
I got into the shower at 4:30. I blow-dried and straightened my hair. I put on a pair of dark wash skinny jeans, a cream colored cashmere sweater, and a pair of red pumps. I threw my Burberry scarf around my neck and put on gold hoop earrings. Then I touched up my makeup and went downstairs. I grabbed a slice of pizza out of the fridge and ate it while waiting for the rest of my family. “Kay we’re leaving in ten minutes!” I heard my mother yell while putting the coats onto my cousins and brother. “Alright Mom” I said and went back upstairs to brush my teeth and get my coat.
My family and I piled into the limo that was waiting outside our house. My mother and aunt reminded the kids of the rules when we were in the box. “No fighting, no yelling and screaming, no running around like wild animals” my mother said. “And no matter what, you wait for one of us to walk you down to the locker room after the game” my aunt said pointing between her and my mom. The kids groaned but nodded in agreement. When we pulled up to the arena and the kids ran through the tunnel and down towards the dressing rooms. “We should go with them” my mother said to my aunt. “Kay, you can go get settled in the box if you want” my aunt said with a kind smile. “Actually, I think I’ll come with you”. Then we started walking.
Three pairs of heels clicked on the cement floor as we walked down towards the dressing rooms. I looked down one of the hallways and saw a player sitting down stretching out. I could hear the music playing in his headphones from 20 feet away. When the player turned around, I noticed a big smile spread across his face and when he stepped out of the shadow, I knew exactly who it was. “Um, I have to go to the bathroom” I said to my mom, “I’ll meet you guys down there in a few minutes”. I said turning around and walking down the hallway towards him.
“What are you doing?” I asked Sidney as I walked towards him. He was sitting on the ground against the wall with his legs out in front of him. “I’m getting focused” he said standing up. Even with heels on he was still a lot taller than me. “Oh” my voice dropped down to a whisper. “Well, good luck tonight” I said taking his hand. I gave it a squeeze and then turned to walk back down the hallway. Then I felt his hands grab my waist. He spun me around and gave me a long kiss. When we pulled apart he whispered “That’s all the luck I need”. I smiled at him, took his hand and pulled him to walk with me. He was silent for the 2 minute walk to the dressing room. When we entered the hallway where the team was preparing for the game, my uncle greeted us. “Look who I found” I said shoving Sidney down the hallway. “Good luck boys” I said to everyone, and then I gave my uncle a hug and went up to the box.

No comments: