Monday, May 19, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch11

Chapter 11:

We fell asleep and stayed like that for a while. Then I woke up around 5:00. He was still sleeping, peacefully and was still holding onto me closely. I was so warm and comfortable that I decided to just stay there. I fell back to sleep hugging Sid a little tighter. I don’t really know what time it was, but I woke up to Sid’s voice in my ear. “Kay, wake up” he whispered. “No” I said with a small laugh. Then he sat up and stretched out. I could see every muscle in his back through is tight t-shirt. It made me blush just thinking about how gorgeous he is. “You should probably go back to your house” he said standing up. “You’re right” I said, “but it’s going to be hard to sneak back”. I stood up and walked over to him. He was much taller than I was, it was almost over powering. “See you at breakfast” he said. Then he gave me a kiss on the cheek, and I walked towards the door and down the stairs. Before I turned the handle of the door, I turned around and looked upstairs. I could already hear the shower running.
I walked out to the stone patio and looked around. People were awake, I could hear them. Then the smell of fresh cooked bacon and pancakes filtered through the air from the kitchen. I walked in and saw Amanda hovering over the stove. I quickly ran upstairs and looked at the clock. “8:30” I said aloud and walked into the bathroom and started the shower. When I was done, I blow-dried my hair and spun the ends into loose curls. Then I walked into my closet and grabbed a pair of white shorts and a light pink baby-doll t-shirt and a skinny yellow leather belt to go with the shorts. Then I picked out a gold necklace with a dancer on it, and a gold charm bracelet. I applied a light amount of makeup and put a spritz of perfume on. Then I headed downstairs.
Uncle Mario was walking in right as I walked down the stairs. “Oh,” he said “there you are, it’s time to eat” he said with a smile. I walked out to the table and sat down next to Sidney. “Good morning everyone” I said with a bright smile. Then Amanda and Nancy brought out breakfast. After a few minutes of casual talk with everyone, Uncle Mario looked in my direction. “Kay, you know that dance program at that conservatory in Massachusetts you and your mother had been talking about?” he asked. “Yeah” I said looking up at him. “Well we decided that you are going to go for a few weeks. Maybe even a month or two” he said casually. “Really?” I almost screamed. “Yes” he said laughing, “Your cousins and brother are starting school again soon, Sidney and I will be starting more practices and pre-season games, you’re aunt has to work, and so do your mother and father. So you would be bored doing nothing but going to the arena.” “When would I leave?” I asked him. “This coming Tuesday he said. “Are you serious?” I asked, now feeling kind of nervous. “Yes I am” he said, “You have a good two days to pack and go shopping for anything else you need.”
I looked over at Sidney. He was playing with his food with a blank expression on his face. “Well that’s wonderful” I said, half truly and half sarcastic. I finished up my second pancake, and asked to be excused. It was 10:45 when I got back to my room. I sat down on my bed, wondering what to do. “I like Sidney, everything is going good, I can’t leave him now. What if he meets someone new?” I thought to myself, now pacing around my room. “They could have told me this a lot sooner” I said, talking to myself. Then I heard a knock on my door. It was Uncle Mario. “Kay we’re going to go to the arena, would you like to come with us?” he asked. “Not today Uncle Mario, I’ve got a lot of things to do” I said. “Alright, well we will be back around 2:00” he said closing the door.
I walked over to my dance dressers and emptied them onto the floor. Six pairs of tights, fourteen leotards, three different sets of warm-ups, and five pairs of legwarmers. I made neat piles on the floor next to the mirror. Then I gathered all my shoes together. “New ballet shoes” I said to myself holding up a pair of shoes that were ripped and stained grey from the floor. I left my dance clothes on the floor and walked out to the veranda. I couldn’t concentrate. I decided I would go lie outside for a while and maybe take a nap. I put on a black bathing suit and a pair of little black shorts. Then I put my hair in a pony tail, grabbed a towel and headed towards the pool.
I was enjoying the warm sunlight. It was nearing the end of August, so it wasn’t as hot as it used to be. I rolled onto my stomach and dozed off quickly. I woke up to the slamming of a car door. Then I heard my Uncle Mario saying something to Sidney about the team. “Great” I said sitting up. I gathered my things and walked into the house. “Hello Miss Kay” Amanda said quietly while folding laundry. “Did you know about me leaving?” I asked her, “Yes I did, but I only found out early this morning” she said with a frown. “Oh” I said. Then I grabbed a slice of homemade pizza off of a baking sheet on the oven and walked upstairs. With anger and sadness building inside of me I kicked over my neat piles of clothes. “Why did this happen to me now” I asked my reflection.
I was sitting on the veranda, practically in tears when I heard a knock on my door. I didn’t answer. “Kay?” It was Sidney. “Uh, back here” I said wiping my eyes. He walked through the doors and immediately knew something was wrong. He threw his arm around me and pulled me close. Then I broke down. “I’m so sorry Sidney” I managed to say through sniffles. “I understand” he said with hurt in his voice. He sat there holding me for a good five minutes and then took my hands and made me stand up. He pulled me into my room and we sat down on the bed.
Then he gently took my face in his hands and wiped away my tears. “Kay” he began to say, “It’s only for a few weeks, I swear I’ll be okay. No one is going to replace you.” “Really?” I said, beginning to calm down. “Of course” he whispered, then kissing my forehead. “I know how much this means to you, and I want you to be happy. Even if that means getting out of here for a while” he said. “I’m going to start being really busy anyways, so this would make me feel less bad about leaving you all the time” he continued. I couldn’t even look him in the eyes. “You should start packing and making your shopping list” he said standing up. “Yeah, you’re right” I said with a sigh. Then before I knew it, I was alone in my room.
I walked over to my kicked over piles of clothes and picked them back up. “He must be right” I said to myself, “This is going to be the best thing for us”. Somehow I tricked myself into thinking everything was going to be alright. I put my dance clothes in a big Louis Vuttion trunk and then walked into my closet. The conservatory was in Massachusetts and it was almost September and I would be there until late November, so I would need to bring both warm and cold weather clothes. I picked out about 25 shirts, both short and long sleeve, a lot of different colored camisoles and tank tops. Then I put out a few pairs of shorts, capri pants, and jeans. And then I took out about 15 pairs of pajamas. I needed a few new pairs of nice pants, and a few dresses to wear. So I wrote that down on my shopping list too. I took out three pairs of Ugg boots, five pairs of heels, two pairs of sneakers and eight pairs of flip flops. You would swear I was leaving the house forever. I had four huge piles of clothes in the center of my closet.
I heard the car door slam around 5:00 and then I heard everyone coming inside. “We’re home” my mother yelled up to me. When I didn’t answer her, or come out of my room, she came up and knocked on my door. “Kay honey, are you alright” she asked walking in. “Yeah” I called from the closet. She walked down the small hallway and saw me sitting on the floor surrounded by clothes. “So your uncle told you that you’re leaving on Tuesday?” she asked picking up some socks on the floor. “Yeah” I said standing up. “Mom there’s something I need to tell you” I said. “Yes honey” she asked, seeming to get a bit nervous. “I think I’m falling in love with Sidney” I said. “I’ve been waiting for you to say that” she said with a smile. “What?” I asked, very confused. “Honey, I could tell from the first time we all ate breakfast together that there was something going on between you two. I don’t think anyone else can tell, but me being your mother, I saw the smile you gave him and how nice you were being”. “So you aren’t mad?” I said, shocked. “Why would I be mad sweetheart? Sidney is one of the nicest boys I have ever met, he is not like any other boy you have liked before. I know for a fact he would not do anything inappropriate, or try to hurt you in any way”. I just stood there and looked at her with a blank expression. “Well, we will be eating in a few minutes. So why don’t you freshen up then come and join us” she said. Then she walked out of the closet and went downstairs.

No comments: