Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch17

Chapter 17:
As we walked back into the house, he let go of my hand and said he dropped something. About ten steps later I felt something hard and cold hit my back. I turned around to see Sidney standing there with a huge toothy grin holding two snowballs. “You are so dead” I yelled bending down to make a ball. In the middle of his attack I sailed a snowball at him and hit him square in the back. Laughing hysterically, he ran towards me and picked me up over his shoulder. “Oh no, you are so dead” he said while swinging me around. Just then I had a great idea.
“Ow Sid! Put me down you’re hurting me!” I said in the most serious voice I could produce. When he set me on my feet, I fell over onto the ground. “Ughhh, my stomach!” I said. While I was rolling on the ground I picked up some snow in my hands. “Oh my god, Kay! I’m so sorry! Oh no! I’m sorry! What’s wrong? What hurts?” Sidney stammered out while bending down over me. I closed my eyes and tried really hard not to laugh at his facial expression. Pure fear and shock made his lips purse and form into a thin line, the redness of his face added to the utter cuteness I was witnessing. When he picked my head up with his hands, I reached my arms around his neck. Then I smashed two handfuls of cold snow onto the back of his neck. Then I burst out laughing. “Ha-ha, sucker!” I said between breaths. “Now that was not cool” he said standing up. I could tell he was trying to act serious, but the moment our eyes met, he burst out laughing.
He stuck his hand out towards me, and helped me up. As soon as I caught my balance I wrapped my hands around his waist and hugged him tight. He rested his hands on the small of my back and I let out a yawn. “I think you should go eat and get ready for bed” he said pulling away. “I guess I should” I muttered, “I guess I’ll see you later.” “If you get lonely, you know where I am” he said, I gave him a quick kiss on the cheek and ran into the house.
My mother and father were sitting together watching Law and Order when I returned into the house. “Where have you been Kay?” my father questioned. “I was out in the gazebo reading and then I fell asleep. Then Sidney came out and we had a snowball fight” I said grabbing some of the pasta and meatballs that were still hot in the pan. “Oh alright, I was just checking” he said returning his attention to the show. “Kay honey, Amanda unpacked your things for you, so that is all set. Why don’t you go upstairs and head off to bed, we have a busy day tomorrow.” “What are we doing tomorrow?” I asked. “Well there is a game tomorrow night, so we will be doing some things in the morning and then we will be at the arena for most of the night” she informed. “Oh alright” I said. Then I picked up my plate and ran up to my room. “Finally, the first game” I said.
*********
After I ate, took a shower and got into my pajamas, I decided that I should just go to bed. I looked over at the clock. “10:00, time for bed” I thought. Before I turned out my light, I peeked out the window to see if Sidney’s light was on. Too bad for me, his drapes were shut tight.
I fell asleep quickly. I was still exhausted from the previous nights. I fell into a nice, comfortable sleep, but then I had a horrible dream that something had happened in the family and that I was at a funeral. I awoke in tears and looked at the clock, it read ‘2:36 a.m.’ I got out of bed and snuck downstairs, across the connecting foyer and into Sidney’s wing.
His door was open and I saw the faint light of his clock shining on the wall. I walked around to the other side of the bed [where he was facing] and snuggled in close to him. He must have been shaken awake by my movements because his eyes opened quickly. “Kay what’s wrong?” he said looking at the clock, “It’s quarter to three. What’s going on?”. “Nightmare” I said squeezing his arm, “Just needed someone to hold me.” He was silent and just pulled me closer. It didn’t take long for his steady heartbeat to lull me back to sleep.

No comments: