Monday, May 26, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch15

Chapter 15:
Time dwindled down until I only had one week left at the conservatory. I had talked to Sidney off and on, but we were both busy with our different activities.
Meanwhile, classes continued and everyone was preparing for the small showcase that would come tomorrow, Saturday, night. I was sitting on my floor packing up all of my clothes and pictures when my Blackberry buzzed and it said “New Voicemail”. I quickly checked the inbox.
“Hello Kay, its Uncle Mario. I just wanted to let you know that on Sunday morning you will be picked up around 10:30 in a town car by the same company who dropped you off. You need to be ready by 10:00 and have everything packed up, except for your carry-on of course. When you arrive to the airport, you will be at gate 18 and your plane leaves at 12:25 sharp. Kevin will be picking you up from there. I hope you have a good flight. And Kay, work your magic at the showcase tomorrow, I know you will do great.”
At his last line, I smiled. It was very reassuring to hear words of encouragement. Just then Jess walked into the room. “Kay, it’s time to go to dinner”. “Dinner, already? Wow I must have lost track of time” I said standing up. “Well, don’t just stand there blabbing… I’m hungry!” she said laughing. “I’m coming, I’m coming” I said running after her. We arrived in the dining hall and quickly grabbed our last dinner we would all be sharing. We sat with all our new friends, and ate for about 45 minutes and everyone exchanged e-mails and phone numbers [if we didn’t already have them]. Then Jess went back to the dorm and I decided I’d take a walk. When I was halfway around the campus, Sidney called.
“Well hello there” he said into the phone. “Hello yourself” I said back. We talked about our days and then there was a pause. “I don’t really have a while to talk” he said, “But I wanted to tell you that I cannot wait for you to come home on Sunday and I expect you to be in my room with lights out by 11.” I started giggling and I could feel the heat burning into my cheeks. “Well Sid, I can’t wait to see you either, but we’ll have to see about that.” “Aw come on, you can’t resist” he said. “Maybe I can, but I have to go, I have a busy day tomorrow.” “Alright Kay, see you soon. And good luck tomorrow night”, “Thank you Sid, see you Sunday.” I hung up the phone and walked into my room, took a shower and then went to bed.
I woke up ready for a busy day. Jess and I got a quick breakfast and headed to our rehearsals. We had many dances to perform tonight, and all of them needed polishing. After our ballet and lyrical rehearsals, we had a conditioning class. During that time our teacher let us practice what we needed to instead of getting too tired with our workout routine. After a big lunch we had a half hour to get everything ready for the performance. I got all my makeup ready along with my hair products so I wouldn’t be rushing around later.
After the remainder of our classes, Jess and I went to the dorm and got dressed. “I’m going to miss you helping me with my hair” Jess said as I pulled an elastic around her french braid. “I’m going to miss it too” I said looking at her in the mirror. “Let’s rock this showcase” I said pumping my fist in the air. Within twenty minutes we were all ready to go.
*********
The showcase went wonderfully. I hit all my turns, and everyone’s moves were crisp and together. At the end I was offered a scholarship to spend the spring semester there too. The agent said he would be calling for me after the New Year. I was very excited, until Sidney came to my mind. It was getting late, so Jess and I said goodbye to everyone and made our way back to the dorm. After finishing packing and showering, I slowly drifted off to sleep.
I woke up a little before 8:00 and realized that Jess would be leaving in a half hour. I heard the door open, and sure enough it was Jess. She threw a small bag at me and said “Chocolate croissant. It’s been weeks since we’ve eaten any junk food”. She set down a tea on my desk and turned on the TV. “God Jess, I’m going to be so lonely without you. I really hope that we are able to visit each other a lot.” “Yeah and I hope you come back for the spring semester. I’m only going to be out of here for two months. If you don’t come back I might have some crazy girl as a roomie.” I laughed and started eating. Then when the weather man said it was 8:25, Jess stood up and gathered her things. “Well, I guess this is goodbye” she said sighing. We gave each other a bear hug and I watched her walk down the hallway, tears in her eyes.

No comments: