Saturday, June 21, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch30

Chapter 30:
Christmas was very nice. I got a lot of presents from my family, little things though. I had dinner with my family and then we hung around the house all day. Nothing really eventful happened though.
***** 3 WEEKS LATER******
It had all been the same. Game day, sit around the house, watch TV, dance, shop. I applied for a job as an intern at my uncle’s foundation office. So I was pretty busy with that too.
It was all of a sudden I started spending less time with Sidney. He would get in too late for me to go to his room; he would be too tired to come to my room. He would be busy with the media; I would be at work. My family had decided to go out for dinner one night, but I was sick, so I stayed home. My door opened up about a half hour after they had left. Sidney walked in with bright yellow flowers and a tray of soup and crackers. “I’ve come to play nurse” he said with a smile and shut the door.
I sat up and turned the TV down. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever” he said, his back to me putting the flowers on my fireplace mantel. He turned around and looked at me when I didn’t say anything. I pointed to my throat and squeaked out “Hurts”. “Oh” he said. He put the tray on my lap and took a seat on my diva in the corner off the room. “No offence or anything, but I don’t want to get sick.” I nodded in reply and stared at the TV. I didn’t touch my soup. Something was not right with him.
I coughed, “Sid what is wrong, you don’t seem yourself.” “I’m fine” he said looking at me, but it was more like he was looking past me and focusing on something behind me. “No, no, no” I said “What is wrong” I demanded. “Well I’m starting to think that I scared you away by giving you the ring and stuff” I interrupted him and said “No. That made me realize how much you really mean to me, and it showed me you had the same feelings I do” I coughed violently, then took a cracker and put it in my mouth. “You are so pathetic right now” he said and walked over to me. He took away the tray and gave me a tea cup, “Drink” he said. He sat down next to me and put his arm around me. “I thought you didn’t want to get sick” I whispered. “I’ll do anything for you” he said. He stroked my hair and I snuggled into his chest. I probably fell asleep, because the next thing I knew it was 10:00 in the morning, the next day.
****** 2 WEEKS LATER******
I finally wasn’t sick anymore. It was Valentine’s Day. I was sitting at my desk typing up some report for my uncle when Sidney came bounding down the hallway. “Guess what?” he said, like a 4th grader, “What?” I said playing along. “Tonight, you and I are going out” “Really now?” I said, “Why of course.” I laughed and the phone rang. “Hello Mario Lemieux Foundation how can I help you? –pause- “Yes, alright I’ll let him know” I said into the receiver. I scribbled down the note and put it on my computer screen, “Where exactly are we going?” I asked, knowing I probably wouldn’t be getting an answer. “Oh come on, I can’t tell you that” he said, “Just don’t make any plans” he said. He grabbed my hand, spun the ring around, and kissed me on the cheek. “See you later” he said, ever so sexily [if that’s a word] and then ran back down the hallway.
***
I was wearing black jeans, a grey long sleeved sweater tunic, and black to white faded heels. My hair was down and straight, and I had on both his necklace and ring [like always]. I went downstairs and he told me I should change my shoes. “What? Why?” I asked, “You don’t want to slip on the ice now do you?” he asked. I rolled my eyes at him and went upstairs and threw on a pair of black Uggs. I grabbed my Burberry jacket and headed out to the car.
We were at the arena. “Sid, this better be good” I said getting out. “Oh trust me. It’s good” We walked in and down to the ice. There was a red blanket, with pillows a basket and some candles in the middle of the pitch black arena. I smiled up at him and he took my hand and led me onto the ice. He motioned me to sit, and I took my jacket off. “Look at what I made” he said taking something out of the basket. “Peanut-butter and Jelly?” I asked looking at the sandwich, “Yes, actually” he said. I laughed and kissed his cheek.
While we were eating, I looked down at the ring. Its small diamonds sparkled from the candlelight. I looked back up at Sidney and my heart skipped a beat. “What?” he asked when he noticed I was staring at him. “Nothing” I replied shaking the image of me in a wedding dress out of my head. “I’m not even 18 yet” I said to myself, “Nor close to 21. It’s going to take a long time to wait for this.” He looked at me concerned and his gaze narrowed. “Nothing” I said again. “Whatever. Anyway, are you done eating yet? It’s time for part 2 of my surprises” I rolled my eyes at him and then laughed. He gave me a dirty look, but then laughed too. “Fine. Yes. I’m done.” I said. He stood up and reached for my hand.
He put his arms around my waist and told me to wait at center ice. He told me he had to go get my surprise and he would be back in a minute. “Alright” I said and I waited. Some lights turned on and I could actually see. I looked around and saw that, sure enough, there was no one else in here. Well I assume there was someone somewhere, but they couldn’t be seen. On the quarter lit ice I saw Sidney walk on pushing a medium size box. He seemed to be going very slowly, but I wasn’t sure if he really was or my mind was just putting a dramatic effect on every move he made. He slid the box in front of me and stood up straight. “Well” he said. Right when he said that, the box moved.
I thought it was my imagination, but it moved again, closer to me. I started to get a little nervous. “Sid? What is in there?” I asked backing away. “Do you trust me?” he asked, “Of course I do” I replied, “Well, then open it.” I bent down and picked up the top of the box. I shrieked in delight.

1 comment:

Trish said...

God, I love your story, I'm happy you updated it!!