Thursday, June 5, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch26

Chapter 26:
He stretched out next to me, and I told him what my uncle had said about him being in my room. “Well you know what?” he said looking over at me, “What?” I asked him, sort of afraid of the answer. “Nothing can keep me away from you.” I smiled at him and rolled over. I closed my eyes, and concentrated on falling asleep. I felt his arm attach to my waist and he kissed me on the forehead. I snuggled my head under his chin. “Thank you for understanding” I said into his chest. “You’re welcome. And please forgive my attitude from before; I was just a little frustrated that you were making that such a big deal. But now I understand how worried you were.” I kissed his neck, and then slowly fell asleep.
When I woke up around 10:00, Sidney was gone. He had a big day today. First party with the team. I remember mine. I was small, and mostly everyone towered over me. My uncle was younger and stronger. He picked me up and introduced me to everyone. We ate good food, and I fell asleep on a couch in the corner. My mother made my family leave the party, because it was way past my bed time. I was snapped out of that dream by knocking on my door.
“Kay, its Mom” my mother said. “Come in” I answered sleepily. She was carrying a black garment bag. “I bought you this to wear tonight” she said unzipping the bag. She took out a beautiful black v-neck baby-doll knee length dress. The sleeves were long, and under the bust, where it collected, there was a 4 inch section on black lace that was see through underneath. On the bottom of the dress, there was metallic silver lining. I got off the bed and held it up to my reflection in the mirror. “Oh and these looked lonely on the shelf” my mom said handing me a pair of Jimmy Choo silver pumps. “Oh my gosh” I said. I put the dress on my bed and hugged my mom. “Part one of your Christmas present” she said. “Now wash up and come downstairs, it’s time for breakfast.”
I threw my hair up in a bun and put on an ‘87’ sweatshirt. Well at first I thought it was, and then I noticed it was one of Sid’s sweatshirts, it still smelled like him… “He must’ve left it here last night” I said to myself, and I ran down to breakfast. It was only my mother, father, and brother at breakfast. My mother was telling us how to behave for our grandmothers [they were coming for Christmas] “They will only be here three days, so I expect you to not act like a hooligan” she said to my brother. He laughed and then rolled his eyes at her. “Kay, I know you will be well behaved, but don’t bring Sidney into the mix too much while they are here. I know that it is Christmas and everything, but after all they are your family. I nodded while she told me that I was to go pick them up at the airport.
My hair was still in good condition from last night, so I left it down in waves. I put on a pair of jeans, my high black Ugg boots, and a grey sweater. I grabbed my black Northface fleece zip-up and my purse. I headed downstairs, said goodbye to everyone and then went out to the car. There was snow on the ground when I went outside. I looked up and saw that there were clouds in the sky. “White Christmas huh?” I said to Kevin. “Hopefully” he said and shut the door.
I picked up my grandparents. From my dad’s side came Gram; she is a little out of it sometimes and is a little… abnormal. Then there is Pops; he is very quiet, but extremely funny, polite, and I have a really good relationship with him. From my mom’s side came Ammie [Pronounced OM-E] she was very particular, and a little judgmental. Despite those to flaws, she was elegant. She was proud of her children and grandchildren. Lastly, it was Gramps. He is loud, loves to golf, and thinks’ his jokes are funny, but they really aren’t. But I love him anyway.
*********
On the way home from the airport, we talked about the hockey season, how Sid was living with us, about the party that night, and about almost everything else they could fit in. Then I checked my phone quickly.
Inbox: (1 New Message)
From: Sidney
Kay sorry I left last night, didn’t want to wake you or get in trouble. Miss you. See you soon. XOX Sid p.s. can’t wait for tonight!
I smiled to myself until the chatter from my grandmothers snapped me out of my daydream about the present he had gotten me. “How was the conservatory?” Ammie asked. “It was beautiful. I’m thinking about going back there sometime soon” I said, casually of course. “That is wonderful” Gram piped in. “You are such a beautiful dancer, I am glad you didn’t choose to play hockey like your uncle. Way too many bumps and bruises for such a beautiful young lady” Ammie said. “Why thank you and I’m glad I didn’t either. There is way too much hockey talk in the house already” I said.
We arrived home in what seemed like no time. I helped carry in the presents, and set them under the tree. My family was in the kitchen, catching up with my relatives. I bent under the tree, and picked up a small box. It had my name on it. I shook it like a small child would, just for the fun of it. It sounded like a diamond necklace, but I wasn’t that sure.
When I stood up, still facing the tree, everything went black. Someone had put their hands around my eyes. “Now I don’t think it’s good to be going through your gifts” the person said. “You know Sid, it isn’t like you’ve never done it before.” He laughed and I wriggled out of his grasp. “Oh, what’s this?” he said pointing to an ornament on the tree, “Mistletoe” I said. “Well in that case” he started, and then he kissed me softly on the lips. I kissed him back a little harder and smiled. “Who is this?” I heard Gram say loudly. I was still kissing Sidney, and I shut my eyes tight.

No comments: