Thursday, April 3, 2008

Letting Love In-Ch6

Chapter 6:

I went into my room and lay down on my bed. I was so full of excitement I couldn’t sleep. Now it was 7:00, so I turned on the news to see the weather. “Today is going to be beautiful. Perfect by the pool weather”, said the weatherman. “Nice” I said. After watching the headlines for an hour, Amanda came into my room. “Late night, or should I say early morning for you huh Miss Kay?” she said with a smile. “Please don’t tell anyone Amanda, I don’t want Sid to get in trouble, and it was an accident”. “I know” she said, “your secret is safe with me” she said. “You are having breakfast with everyone, except your cousins and brother this morning at 9:00. Your parents expect you to be fresh and well awake for Mr. Crosby and your uncle. I suggest you take a shower, throw on a nice summer dress, and act like nothing happened between you and Mr. Crosby.” “Thank you Amanda” I said to her in a loving tone. Before she left the room she turned to me and said “Watch what you say too, don’t let anything slip”. And with that she glided down the stairs and out of sight.
“This is fantastic” I said aloud to my reflection. “I have to eat with my parents, aunt Natile, and Uncle Mario with Sidney and we both have to act like nothing happened”. I tried to forget about the troubles that were about to come to me, and instead I focused on what to do. Shake hands only, do not smile at him when we are not talking, be polite, but not too polite, and do not talk about last night except if asked. “That’s a good list” I thought.
As I got out of the shower, I looked at the clock, 8:45. “Crap” I said rushing into my closet for the third time in 24 hours. I picked out a white strapless sundress with pale yellow flower designs on it. Then I picked out a pair of white flip flops with mini heels, and a silver necklace with yellow globes all around it. “Now for the hair” I added some quick dry serum to my ends and blow-dried it. I straightened it quickly so it would fall over my shoulders. Cute, but not too sexy for breakfast. Looking outside from the French doors in my room, I heard my mother say “She should be here any minute” to everyone waiting for me. “She does take a long time to get ready” I heard Uncle Mario say. And with that, I added some mascara and some sheer lip gloss and I hurried down the stairs.
“Good morning everyone!” I said with a smile on my face. I then looked immediately at Sidney, seeing how he was wearing light tan golf shorts and a pale yellow shirt that matched my dress exactly. “Good morning sunshine” my father said to me. “Before you take your seat, would you please go into the kitchen with Sidney and bring out the pitchers of water and orange juice so Amanda and Nancy do not have to do all the work?” Uncle Mario asked me kindly. “Sure thing” I replied and made a B-line for the kitchen. Once we were in the kitchen, I quickly grabbed the pitcher of water. I turned around and there he was, standing there staring at me with no expression on his face at all but a smile. “We match” I said to him with a slight sarcastic tone. “I know” he said “it’s probably because when people are happy they are attracted to lighter colors”. “Of course” I said with a smile, and walked by him. Then I felt his arm brush against mine and I started to blush.
“So how was your first night Sidney?” aunt Natile asked across the table. “It was great” he replied keeping his focus on her. “I was very comfortable and felt very at home” he said. “That’s just how we want you to feel” Uncle Mario said to him, “How was your tour guide?” he asked him. “Oh great” I thought to myself, stay calm. “Please come up with a good answer” I thought. “She was very nice and welcoming” he replied in a polite tone, still without looking at me. “That’s our girl” my mother said. Just Then Amanda and Nancy brought out the food. “Thank God” I thought.
A good 45 minutes went by at breakfast, my family was really getting to know Sidney, and so was I. They talked about hockey and the plans they had for him on the team. It was all so exciting to hear about. After we were all finished, my parents excused themselves to get ready to go on their trip to New York for something to do with their business, and my aunt and uncle left to go pick up the cousins and my brother at their friend’s house and bring them to their day-camp. “Kay, would you please show Sidney around here out back?” Aunt Natile said to me. “Of course Auntie” I said to her in my sweetest tone possible. “Then if you would Sidney, give any laundry to Nancy to do and any other things that need to be cleaned so she can do them before mid-day”. “Sure thing Mrs. L” he said smiling. “Please dear, call me Natile” she said sweetly walking away.
“Well, shall we?” Sid said with a cheesy grin on his face. “Why of course” I said standing and looking over his shoulder as Amanda was motioning us to go. I slipped off my flip flops and started walking towards the tennis courts. “You know,” he started to say, “You left your blankets in my room this morning. When Nancy came in to make the bed I had to hide them. You better be careful Miss Kay.” He said in a sarcastic tone. “Well excuse me Mr. Crosby” I said in the same tone, “I wasn’t the one who wanted to rush out of your wing.” Looking at me, he just laughed. I had to turn away.
“That is the tennis court, which during the winter is usually turned into and ice rink.” I said pointing to the red clay enclosed in black fence, “And that is my second favorite place to be, the pool.” “Wow that thing is huge” he said in awe. “Yeah well you need a place to cool down when it’s mega hot outside and you’re all hot and bothered.” I said in the sexiest voice I could. “You know Kay, you better stop saying stuff like this or we’re really going to have a problem” he said looking me up and down. “Just kidding” I said as I started to walk down the yard towards the gazebo.
“This view is beautiful” I said to Sidney sitting down on the bench inside the gazebo. “Sure is” he said. “You know, it isn’t like this back home. I could hardly find peace and quiet. I was almost always bothered by something, whether it was big or small.” “Once you’re here for a while, you will start to realize that the little bothers in life shouldn’t be stressed over” I said. After sitting looking at the view of the city and surrounding towns for about 10 minutes, Sid put his hand on mine. “We better be going back before anyone thinks anything is happening” he said. “You can go; I think I’ll stay here for a while.” I said back. “Alright” he replied standing up, “I will see you later Kay, thanks for showing me this” And then he walked away, and I hoped to god he already missed me.

No comments: