Sunday, December 21, 2008

More Than A Memory-Ch14

Hey all. Sorry it took so long to update. I was on vacation in sunny Florida enjoying the nice 82 degree weather. Too bad I came home to 14 inches of snow and 10 degree air! I just wanted to let you all know that I plan to update frequently over the holiday break coming up. I have a whole brain full of ideas that I can't wait to write down.

Also if you have comments on the stories, please post them! I love receiving positive feedback, and when I only have 2 comments on the pieces it worries me that I don't have many readers.

Happy holidays in advance to you all!

*Kat


Chapter 14:

"All I want for Christmas is youuuu" I yelled dancing around the living room to blaring Christmas music. I almost didn't hear the phone ring it was so loud. I picked up the receiver right before I paused my iPod. "Not that stupid music again."

Memory-

“Seriously can you turn that down? I can’t even hear myself think!” he yelled from a kitchen chair as I carefully placed glass ornaments on the tree. “No. Stop being a Scrooge” I yelled back. As soon as my back was towards him a stocking was flung at my back and the music was shut off. I turned around and slapped him on the shoulder. He returned my kind gesture with a kiss. While our lips were still touching I snaked my hand around to the stereo and turned the music back up. He pulled away quickly and rolled his eyes. “You have to love the Christmas season!” I said cheerfully. He laughed and spun me around the room, in a cute attempt to dance.

End

"Sid! Hey hold on" I yelled. I ran across the room to shut off the music. "How are you?" I asked. "Tired. But, alright. Except that I am missing you terribly and you are always on my mind." I smiled and looked at the picture of us on the mantel. It was a picture I took when I was playing with the self timer on my new camera. He was sitting on the couch and I was kneeling behind him, it looked like he was giving me a piggy back ride. We were both laughing and had huge smiles on our face. It was perfect. "Well your coming home tomorrow right?" I asked, hoping plans didn't fall through. "Yes. What are you doing?" He asked. "Decorating. And singing. And making cookies" I answered. He laughed. "How does the house look?" He asked. "Beautiful. Except I can't reach the top of the tree to put the star on" I said defeated. "Don't worry. I know someone who can fix that." He laughed again. "Do you want dinner when you get home tomorrow?" I asked. "Home made cooking? Yes!" "What do you want?" "Hmm. Your pizza" he answered. I smiled, I had learned to make pizza from my mom, and I made it for him one day and he had loved it ever since. "The cheese will be sizzling by the time you walk in the door." I could almost hear him smile. "I'll be looking forward to it. But babe I have to go. Therrien is calling a meeting before the game." My smile faded. "Alright. I'll be watching. Score some big ones for me." "I always do. I'll call you when I land" he said. "I love you." "I love you too" he said, and hung up.

I sighed and turned back to my iPod. Mariah Carey started blaring, I reached for another stocking and hung it on the mantel and started singing again.*The next day I went to work and tried extremely hard not to think about Sid, but around 2:00 the thought of him coming home was too much. His plane was leaving in an hour and he would be home around 6. I quickly finished files and did my afternoon rounds. I left the office around 3:30 and sped home. I took a quick walk around the house to look at everything.

The tree was decorated in almost all gold and white ornaments, the mantel had green garlands on top with candles at each end and two stockings hanging down over the fireplace. There were small decorations scattered here and there on end tables, garland and gold ribbon were twisted along the railing to the upstairs. All the candles were replaced with holiday scents, and I had switched out all the boring soap he had for Bath and Body Works holiday flavors. There were wreaths on the two front doors and garland and ribbon twisted around the lamp post at the end of the drive. Each window facing the front of the house had a small light. It was classic, not too much, but just enough. I turned on the TV and rolled up my sleeves to start making the dough for the pizza.*I had finished the dough, put it in the pan with the sauce and preheated the oven when the phone rang. "Hey. I'll be home in 25" he said quickly. "I'll be here." I put the pizza in the oven and ran upstairs to wash up. I took my hair out of the messy bun and shook it over my shoulders then applied some chapstick and went back downstairs to add the toppings onto the pizza. I set the table quickly and minutes after the garage door opened. I smiled as I heard his door shut and his footsteps coming up the stairs to the entryway. I turned around as soon as the door to the kitchen opened and ran across the room and jumped in his arms. He caught me with one hand, holding his bag in the other. He dropped it as I kissed him hard.


“I missed you” he mumbled onto my lips. “Me too” I said quickly and untangled myself from him. He walked around the house looking at all the decorations. “Looks nice. I’m surprised you could actually reach some of those things!” he joked pointing to small wreaths hung over the fireplace. I hit him playfully and he kissed my forehead. For a while after that we just sat in the living room eating and talking about his trip. Then he brought up Christmas.


“I talked to my folks. They are planning on coming on the day before Christmas Eve. It will be Mom, Dad, Taylor, Grandma, my cousins and their spouses and their kids. So altogether for my side there will be about 13 people.” “How the hell are we going to fit 13 people plus my 11?” I screeched. His lips were immediately on mine. “Sh. Listen to me. I have it all planned. We have like 14 rooms in this house. We can fit everyone. Either your parents or mine will take the guest bedroom, then whoever is left can take a bed up in the spare upstairs. In the living room over there that we never use, we can easily fit 3 air mattresses plus the couch. So that takes care of your sisters and everyone. Then you know my cousins never stay anywhere that isn't their home because they don't like to "impose" so they shouldn’t be a problem. And my grandma, well she just sleeps wherever she wants.” I took in all this information. I nodded slowly. “And if they change their mind they can just rearrange themselves to where they want to go. The most important thing is, we have our room to ourselves” he said with a sly grin. I gasped, “Sidney you don’t plan on doing anything while our whole extended family is here do you?!” He laughed quietly before pressing his lips to mine. “You never know… but I’m sure I know I want to do something right now!” he said picking me up and traveling his way up to the room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dfvhjdgszxmcgfnvfkjg!! you can't just set us up, then leave us hanging at the end!!! ughh!

they're so cute together.
i shoulda put sidney crosby onmy christmas list this year =]

gilld22 said...

That is really good. Your story is brilliant - you have nothing to worry about.

mare said...

ha, the decorations sound just like mine in my house! wicked cute...hope florida was fun!